Investing in the First 2,000 Days
Because today’s children are tomorrow’s leaders, parents, and workforce, everyone has a stake in making sure that all of Buncombe County’s children have what they need to flourish. When we invest in children during the first 2,000 days, we create the best outcomes in education, health, and economic wellbeing for everyone in our community.
The need for a robust early childhood system is clear:
- There are 14,000 children under age 5 in Buncombe County. 46% live in low-income households. 70% are not enrolled in licensed child care.
- Year-round, full-day child care costs $9,000 per child. Families can be on the waitlist for 12 months or longer.
- Parents cite a lack of affordable child care as one of the top barriers to relocation to Asheville, predictable attendance at work, and remaining in the labor force while children are young.
Support for each child and their family during the first 2,000 days—the time between birth and kindergarten—is key to changing this landscape.
As a business sponsor, you will help to sustain:
- High-quality, affordable child care for working families.
- Healthy eating, physical activity, and outdoor play for children.
- Workforce development for early educators.
- Free activities that encourage families to read, play, and bond.
Early learning is just good business,” said Kit Cramer, President & CEO President & CEO of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce. “That’s why the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce strongly supports funding early childhood education as ‘key economic infrastructure’ for workforce preparation.”
With your help, our community will increase its family-friendliness, and in turn, Buncombe County will be best-positioned to recruit and retain a strong, competitive workforce in a vibrant community that attracts top talent and consumers.
Click here to take a look at the benefits of sponsorship. We would love to hear your ideas, too! Contact Carol Ann Willhite, Fund Development Director, to start the conversation (email@example.com or 828.484.2363).
Blue Ridge Orthodontics · Clean Environments · Fairy Hair by Fairy Mary · First Citizens Bank · Ginger’s Revenge · Great Beginnings & Great Smiles Pediatric and Orthodontic Dentistry · Homegrown Babies · The Hop Ice Cream Cafe · Johnson Price Sprinkle PA · Madline Moseley · Mast General Store · The Matt & Molly Team of Keller Williams Realty · Mosaic Community Lifestyle Realty · North Asheville Preschool · Roly Poly Crafts · Roots Hummus