The Family Child Care Home (FCCH) Expansion Project Start-Up Grant provides individuals interested in opening or expanding a licensed FCCH in Buncombe County the opportunity to receive financial and technical assistance.
The grant will support individuals in creating sustainable, high-quality teaching and business practices while encouraging an increase in available full-time child care slots in Buncombe County. Priority will be given to individuals with a goal of serving infants and/or toddlers.
The process will include completion of the grant application, technical assistance, coaching/mentoring, and business owner support. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. The grantee will be required to apply for an NC Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) license within six months of grant award. If requirements are not met, grant funds will be returned.
To receive grant funding, you must:
Have a completed application and references. (See attached application criteria)
- Have a criminal background check qualification letter from the Division of Child Development and Early Education. Buncombe Partnership for Children Child Care Resources staff will assist with this process. For more information, please visit: https://ncchildcare.ncdhhs.gov/Home/DCDEE-Sections/Criminal-Background-Check-Unit
- FCCH location will be in Buncombe County and meet zoning/HOA and initial licensing eligibility guidelines.
- Agree to work with BPFC staff to form a technical assistance plan to obtain a 4 or 5 Star Rated License within nine months of issuance of Temporary DCDEE license.
Grant recipients will:
- Receive between $2,000 and $5,000 for the purchase of materials, supplies, furniture, and to remove barriers to DCDEE licensure process.
- Participate in technical assistance and coaching with Buncombe Partnership for Children Child Care Resources. Topics include (but are not limited to) child care business operations, developmentally appropriate practices for young children, North Carolina Star Rated License process, and individualized support.