Week of the Young Child is a time to celebrate early learning, young children, their teachers, families, and communities. We’re focusing on resilience during this week, with resources from Sesame Street in Communities. They have bilingual multi-media tools to help kids and families expand their knowledge during the early years.
These resources engage kids and adults in everyday moments and daily routines—from teaching early math and literacy concepts, to encouraging families to eat nutritious foods, to serious topics such as divorce and food insecurity. They use a time-tested research model and thorough testing with families and providers to ensure that these resources have a measurable impact in the lives of parents and children.
Don’t forget to join us at Kids Fest on Saturday, April 8, from 10 am to 2 pm at the Beaverdam YMCA Youth Services Center (201 Beaverdam Rd., Asheville). Kids and families can meet Sesame Street’s Elmo character! And we’ll have Asheville Adventure Play, arts and crafts, games, gardening, giveaways, and wellness activities for adults.
–Melissa Wilson, Early Childhood Specialist
If you do any of these activities or plan your own for Week of the Young Child, send a short description and a picture or two to email@example.com or text 828-407-2064.
We’d love to feature you during the week!
Daily Activities for Week of the Young Child
- Elmo’s Got the Moves Dance-Along – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-16o2-7mi8
- Animal Yoga – https://youtu.be/4WsxAGL2HUw
- Moving Together Printable – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MoveMB_PRINT_MoveTogetherErnie-1.pdf
- Grow Your Colors (interactive game) – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/eating/?activity=grow-your-colors-2
- Healthy Eating: Supporting Families (workshop) – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/eating/?activity=healthy-eating-supporting-families
- A Delicious Day (storybook) – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/eating/?activity=a-delicious-day
Work Together Wednesday
- Little Neighbors Club – https://youtu.be/uA767k8Cnjk
- Volunteering: I’ll Do It Printable – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Volunteering_Ill-Do-It.pdf
- 9 C’s of Citizenship Article – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/little-neighbors/?activity=9-cs-of-citizenship
- Make Your Own Art – https://youtu.be/Rzb3NiN1NKU
- Open-Ended Art Printable – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Divorce_PRINT_ElmoBookPaint.pdf
- Art Skills, Life Skills Article – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/learning-through-art/?activity=art-skills-life-skills
- I Love You Because Printable – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/ILoveYouGarden.pdf
- Abuela’s Story Quilt Storybook – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/learning-through-art/?activity=abuelas-story-quilt-art
- Sharing Talents and Traditions Article – https://sesamestreetincommunities.org/topics/family-bonding/?activity=sharing-talents-traditions