WHAT IS WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT?
There is currently a severe shortage of qualified early childhood education teachers in Buncombe County. The early childhood teacher shortage has far-reaching impacts on our community, as programs are unable to expand without staff, and a lack of available slots for young children means parents who might enter the workforce are unable to do so. Currently only about one third of age-eligible children in Buncombe County are enrolled in licensed programs. In addition, many teachers struggle with frustration and burnout due to an increased prevalence of high-needs children with behavioral and learning challenges, coupled with inadequate training and resources.
One way to address these issues is to provide an influx of new teachers into the field. This is why we plan to support participants in the Early Childhood Teacher Workforce Development Program, with funding from Asheville City Strategic Partnership Fund, The Buncombe County Early Childhood Fund, and an NC Works Local Innovation Grant in collaboration with the Mountain Area Workforce Development Board.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Contact Tasha Lewis at 828.771.6338
What do participants receive?
- 24 hours of training by by Buncombe Partnership for Children Child Care Resources staff on topics including:
- Positive Interactions with Children
- Developmentally appropriate practice
- Health, safety, and sanitation rules
- Trauma and resiliency
- Managing challenging behaviors
- CPR/First Aid
- Classroom observations with guided reflection
- 6 hours of guided reflective observation in classrooms
- All Division of Child Development and Early Education paperwork required for teaching in licensed programs
- Enrollment, tuition, and books for Spring 2019 AB-Tech’s Introduction to Early Childhood course (EDU 119)
- Group coaching and individualized support to reflect upon learning in classes, training, and classroom experiences.
- Certificate of program completion and assistance with job placement
What are the steps in the program?
Pre-Service Training (24 hours total)
- Child development and classroom behavior guidance
- CPR/First Aid
- Classroom observations
- Online training
- Health & safety topics
- Stipend when all 24 hours are completed
Classroom Contact Hours
- BPFC assists with classroom placement and hires substitutes for placement in programs around the county
- Gain experience in a variety of classroom settings
- Must complete 20 hours (paid or unpaid) for program
- Individual Coaching during all phases of the program and after moving on to full-time work
- Connections with other people in the program
- Extra training opportunities
- Dinner & child care provided for meetings
EDU-119 with A-B Tech
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education: Earn the NC Early Childhood Credential
- Dinner & child care provided
- In-person and online class components
- Weekly meetings with other program participants will continue on non-class weeks to allow time for homework, support, and group conversation.
What is the substitute program?
Substitutes are available for placement in Buncombe County early care and education programs. Contact us for more information!
What qualifications do the substitutes have? Substitutes are participants in BPFC’s Workforce Development Program and have finished at least 24 hours of pre-service training. They have complete DCDEE licensing files including qualification letter, orientation training hours, ITS-SIDS and First Aid/CPR. Substitutes are employees of BPFC and will receive ongoing support and coaching in classroom practices from BPFC staff.
How do I request a substitute? Substitutes can be requested using the form on this page or the direct link here: REQUEST FORM. Programs wishing to enroll as Substitute Placement Sites will need to have an orientation meeting with Tasha Lewis, Workforce Development Program Director.
How much does it cost? Effective August 1, 2019 substitute time is billed at $14.25/hr.
REQUEST A SUB
Workforce Development Program Coordinator
828.771.6338 (Text or Call)
Get In Touch
53 Asheland Avenue Suite 102A
Asheville, NC 28804